Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ghost Stripes

Ok, so I have a huge long wall in the back of my house which you can see as soon as you come in the front door (i have an open layout floor plan), and i have been dying to spice it up somehow. So i have been seeing stripes lately in home magazines and Pinterest, so i decided to give it a shot. In my mind i had visioned large horizontal stripes in a color that was pretty close to what was already up there but in a glossy since what is on there is flat. I wanted the stripes to be subtle, but eye catching at the same time. So, i made a trip to Lowes (my absolute favorite store, would rather have a shopping spree there over any shoe or clothing store!!). I swear every time i go in that store i feel like i have ADD or something and my mind goes crazy with all kinds of ideas.  I came home with about 20 paint swatches to try and match the color of my walls, and out of those 20 only 1 did!! So, Flax it was....


Lowes is awesome!!
When i went back to get my paint, i found Valspar paint crystals and couldn't wait to get home and paint!! So, you just mix in the crystals (which are like powder glitter) slowly and kind of fold them in at the same time. The longest part for me was having to tape the stripes off. I don't have a laser level, so i did the old school measure and mark and used an old school level when i started taping to make sure they were somewhat straight. I also came up with 13" stripes by measuring the wall and dividing that by the number of stripes you want; I ended up with 9 total and only had to paint 4. So, I painted my stripes and fell in LoVe!! The shimmer from the crystals is perfect, and the similarity of the colors of the wall and glossy stripes give it a "ghost" look, which i love! The only problem is the pictures do no justice, its so much more awesome in person!! So, i thank you Lowes for another awesome home project.


"Flax"

13" stripes

The camera flash makes the stripes look dark...so cool!!

Tried to catch the sparkles, but couldn't. Really there is a good shimmer effect in person.

please excuse Frank's messy bed of blankets ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment