Search This Blog

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Fabric Top Desk?

Ok its been a really long time since I have blogged! Oops, life got in the way I guess. I have another redo project I just had to post...so here it is!


Found this old desk at a garage sale. It was cute and had cool curves to it. I got it for like $30 bucks and thought I could totally make it awesome!! So after a little paint and stain glaze, it looks like a totally different piece. I wanted to do something different with the top and make it stand out. I had some left over fabric that I just loved, and decided to cover the top with that using mod podge. It turned out really great!! I was going to do an epoxy resin glaze to seal it, but after researching and buying some I found that it was going to be way too messy for me. So I just used some polyurethane and it sealed fine after a few coats. I decided that eventually I will have a some glass cut for it and that will give it a more finished look I think.

Overall, it was a fairly simple project that made an awesome "new" piece.

Desk before...

Gave it a coat of paint
 
After the paint dried, I then gave it a stain glaze by applying the stain and then wiping with a dry rag.

After the glaze dried put the hardware back on.
 
This is the fabric pattern
 
Applied a base coat of Mod Podge, and then laid the fabric on and put a few more coats of Mod Podge. After it dried completely I went around and trimmed the edges.

Not the best quality pics, but hey I'm lazy and just whip out the iPhone.

....desk after.

 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. That was a great idea! I've never though of mod podging with fabric!

    ReplyDelete